Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Poached Eggs on Roasted Garlic French Bread with Bacon, Asparagus, and Tomatoes

I LOVE Eggs Benedict! It is by far my favorite way to eat eggs. Unfortunately it is also one of the least healthy ways to eat eggs. When I came across this recipe I thought it would be a wonderfully different way to satisfy that urge for poached eggs with lots of other flavors. I think it looks delicious!! 

Once again I borrowed this from Pam, who writes the blog For the Love of Cooking. It is a wonderful blog and she generously allows others to repost her recipes on their own blogs. The recipe as well as the pics are hers. So a big thanks to Pam! Just click on the link above to enjoy her talents!  ~Marla


Poached Eggs on Roasted Garlic French Bread with Bacon, Asparagus, and Tomatoes



Do you like eggs? Asparagus? Tomatoes? Bacon? If so then... You. Must. Make. This. Recipe!!

My son had a play date after school so I had time to make a special lunch just for me. I roasted the bread, asparagus, tomatoes, and bacon in the oven. I layered the bread with the bacon, asparagus, and tomatoes then served a poached egg on top. It was truly mouth watering and I enjoyed every single bite. I actually loved it so much I made it for lunch the following day too. This is by far my very favorite egg dish and I have a feeling I will be making it again very soon. I highly recommend this recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Poached Eggs on Roasted Garlic French Bread with Bacon, Asparagus, and Tomatoes:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 thick slice of Roasted Garlic French Bread (or your favorite bread)
  • 2 slices of bacon (I used precooked)
  • 2 thick slices of tomatoes
  • 3-4 asparagus spears, ends removed
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat (or tin foil) for easier clean up and coat it with cooking spray. Place the bread on the baking sheet along with the 2 slices of tomatoes, two slices of bacon, and the asparagus spears. Drizzle the tomatoes and asparagus with olive oil then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.

Place in the oven for 5 minutes then remove the bacon, if it's cooked, and place on a paper towel. Flip the bread over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the bread is toasted and the tomatoes and asparagus are softened and warmed through.

Add water to a pan, filling it two thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Coat a poaching cup (or custard cup) with cooking spray then place in the water. Break the egg into the cup then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the whites are firm but the yolk is soft.

Layer the bread with bacon, asparagus, and tomatoes. Place the poached egg on top of the tomatoes then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!


1 comment: