Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Chili


Nothing welcomes in the fall like a big simmering pot of chili! I grew up without even knowing that you could purchase chili in a can; My mom's homemade chili was delicious and nothing could warm you up on a cold night quite like it. I still love homemade chili. I do not make it exactly like my mom's I am sure...after all, she never followed a recipe. And I have learned a way to cheat just a little without affecting the taste at all. I use a convenient package of spices instead of measuring them out myself. It saves me a little time measuring and replenishing my spices. But the end result is still a wonderful, flavorful, thick bowl of chili.

Chili

1 box Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. flank steak, cubed
2 cans Chili Beans
2 cans diced tomatoes, chili style
1 can tomato sauce
1 medium white onion, diced
14 oz. water, use an empty can

In a large pot, brown meat and onion over low heat. If you use very lean beef, you will not need to drain it and it will retain more flavor.

 Open the Chili Kit and add the Chili seasoning, salt and cayenne packets to the browned beef. Use the cayenne according to how hot you want your chili. I use the entire packet for moderate heat. Stir well and add the  tomato sauce. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes. Add chili beans, tomatoes, and about 2/3 of the can of water to beef. Simmer for 1/2 to 2 hours. The longer it simmers, the richer the taste.

 About 15 minutes before serving add the masa flour if a thicker chili is desired. To do this mix the remaining water and masa flour together to make a slurry. Add this to the chili and stir well. It will thicken the chili. 

You can add and subtract to this recipe depending on your tastes. Add bell pepper, remove the onion, more cayenne, no beans, etc. Serve with whatever chili fixings you like. Green onion, sour cream, cheese, and Frito's are my favorites!

Bon appetit ~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment