Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Freezer Salsa

Tomorrow is salsa making day. I was hoping to make my salsa with fresh tomatoes this year, but my tomato plants refuse to set with this ridiculous heat! Oh well, I have a salsa recipe I really like that uses canned tomatoes that will work just fine. Generally I don't make a large batch, but with plenty of time on my hands and room in my freezer, it seemed a good idea this year! This recipe is just a basic guideline. You can change parts of it to suit your families taste preferences and it will still taste better than any you buy at the grocery store. And it costs a lot less too!


Homemade Freezer Salsa

1 large can whole tomatoes, do NOT drain
1 small or medium onion
2-3 fresh Jalapeños, or Habaneros if you are very brave
Juice of 1 lime
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro, or parsley if you prefer
1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

You may add any or all of the following to suit your taste:
Black Pepper
Cumin
Chili Powder
Tabasco
Oregano
Green Chili's
Green Bell Peppers

Pour juice from tomatoes into blender or food processor and add all other ingredients except onion and tomatoes. Blend just to mix, then add onion and tomatoes. Blend to desired consistency. 
This makes the equivalent of two store bought salsa jars. You may keep it in the refrigerator about one week. It keeps in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Bon appétit ~Marla


1 comment: