Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Strawberry Freezer Jam

Anyone else see a theme here? I have definitely latched onto freezer recipes lately. But with summer here and produce at its least expensive, if you are going to freeze, now is the time. I found this recipe in my favorite cooking blog, For the Love of Cooking. Once again Pam comes through with a great recipe and great photo's to go with it. While this is certainly not a sugar free recipe, it is a lower sugar jam. In moderation it is acceptable for those of us with diabetes. If you want a sugar free version I recommend just purchasing sugar free jam at the store. It is difficult to make at home...but if someone has a recipe they have been successful with, please share it with me!


 Bon appétit ~Marla



Strawberry Freezer Jam

I am not a fan of store bought jams and never buy them. I have always had a love for strawberry freezer jam (my very favorite flavor). My family is very lucky to have wonderful friends and neighbors who supply us with delicious homemade freezer jam. My local market was selling 4 lb boxes of strawberries and I decided to finally make my own batch. It was fun to make, much easier than I thought and the end result was PERFECT. I don't like fancy ingredients in my jam, just fruit and sugar, so the recipe is from the pectin box. Simple and so tasty.
  • 4 cups of crushed strawberries (exactly 4 cups)
  • 3 cups of sugar (exact amount)
  • 1 packet of Sure Jell (less sugar needed) Premium Fruit Pectin
  • 1 cup of water
  • Freezer jam containers (1-2 cup size) with tight fitting lids, washed and dried
Remove stems from strawberries, wash and slice into half. Mash fruit with potato masher for best results. If you use a food processor, pulse to chop. DO NOT PUREE. The jam should have bits of fruit.
Note: Reducing sugar, water, pectin or strawberries will result in set failures. USE EXACT AMOUNTS. Add exactly 3 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water and one packet of pectin to a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil on medium high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Quickly stir crushed strawberries into the hot sugar mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour into clean containers, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top for expansion during freezing; Cover. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Otherwise, store in the freezer for up to 1 year.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

1 comment:

  1. It took me less than an hour to make 9 containers of jam. It tastes GREAT! And it has about 1/2 the sugar of regular jam...I promise you won't miss the added sugar!

    ReplyDelete