Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday Travels: The Voyager of the Seas



In 2011 we took a cruise that was a departure from the norm for us…a cruise minus our adult children. Our DD had married in the summer of 2010, and preferred to cruise sans parents for her honeymoon…I have no idea why…we are a lot of fun on a cruise! Our DS was starting a new job in law enforcement and chose to opt out as well. I admit this left me feeling a bit uneasy about cruising with just my DH. Now don’t judge…I love my husband dearly! However, 20 plus years of marriage had convinced me that we do not always see eye to eye on what constitutes a good time!

Luckily we did not have to contemplate this situation long! A couple we are friends with, E & D, came to our rescue and booked the same cruise. We had “Cruise Buddies,” yay!! It was made extra exciting as E had never cruised before…and I love sailing with newbies! We had almost as much fun planning our trip as actually taking it. It included a road trip, as we were sailing out of Galveston, and included a stop in Dallas to meet with a missionary family our church supports.

The trip to Galveston was a long day, but the stop in Dallas helped the drive seem shorter. I drove, of course…because I have control issues and hate it when other people drive as my life constantly flashes before my eyes. There…I have stated it publicly…don’t expect me to change…just move over and give me the wheel!

Our visit with our Albanian missionaries was wonderful, if short. They were in the USA for a few years while the husband attended Dallas Christian & obtained his masters degree. We visited and enjoyed an awesome home cooked Albanian meal. If you know what a foodie I am, you know I was in heaven!

Once in Galveston we checked into our hotel…and then made a bee line to a store on the beach that sold comfortable flip flops. E had made the mistake of choosing fashion over comfort for the 10 hour car ride. Her dogs were barking away! I just shook my head and wondered how she tolerates me as a friend. My idea of being fashion forward is when I wear jeans to the store instead of sweats! Then on to Joe’s Crab Shack…yes, I am sure there are better places to eat seafood in Galveston…but I am a Joe’s girl.

The next day a very friendly taxi driver took us to the port and we began embarkation. It was painless as always…except for the confiscation of D’s pocket knife, which he had checked to make sure he could bring. For our safety Royal Caribbean kept it tucked away until the last night of the cruise…when in their wisdom they felt the danger of D running amok and murdering us in our sleep had passed, and returned it to him.

Next Thursday Travels: Introducing the Voyager of the Seas
Bon Voyage! ~Marla



No comments:

Post a Comment