Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Open Door

I grew up in a close family, and this closeness included our extended family as well. I saw my cousins fairly often, even though some were more than 20 years older than me. Usually these get-togethers were planned affairs, but occasionally someone would be passing through the Wichita area and just drop by. My parents were always pleased to see family, even when it was unexpected. I don't ever remember my mom being concerned about how the house looked, or complaining about not having time to clean up. They were just happy to spend time with loved ones.


This open door policy extended to their children as well. Even as a married adult I would show up unannounced and let myself into their home. My father had friends who would show up unannounced as well. Even though my dad has been gone 15 years now, I can still remember the look of pleasure on his face when someone would come to visit. It didn't matter if he was in the middle of dinner, he would drop whatever he was doing and greet his guests with vigor, happy to focus on them. At our own home our adult children and their spouse/spouse-to-be show up at our place unannounced all the time. They all have keys and are welcome here. It doesn't matter what is going on, or what condition the house is in, we are always happy to see them and spend time with them.


This caused me to stop and wonder about people who don't like unannounced guests. Why are some people happy when someone drops by and others mortified or upset. Honestly, I don't think it is the interruption in their schedule that is the issue. I think it is a matter of wanting everything to look perfect when a guest enters their home. Now, before anyone takes offense, let me say I don't think that is a bad thing, it is just a difference in people. This did get me thinking though. God has an open door policy. We can enter in at any time. He always welcomes us with open arms and is pleased to see us. But what about us? Why do some people hesitate to welcome Him in to their homes, their hearts. They know they need Him. All they have to do is accept His grace and let Him in, but still they wait. Maybe they feel their house is not perfect or clean enough. He is welcome, but only later, after they have cleaned up the mess of their lives. The problem is...they can't clean up the mess without help, His help. The truth is He doesn't care what your house looks like, or how filthy and run down it is. He comes with His sleeves rolled up, ready to help you clean up the mess. He will make you acceptable. All you have to do is open the door.


For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. ~Luke11:10 NIV

Blessings ~Marla

1 comment:

  1. I need to be better about this. So many opportunities are lost as the words, "when we get the house clean" come out of my mouth. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete