Monday, July 18, 2011

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm not as young as I used to be. After a whirlwind trip to San Antonio, filled with activity, it took me a full day to recuperate! I have also discovered that along with the exhaustion came a great deal of back pain following 10 hour plus car rides. Used to be 16 hours in a car was not even an issue. I am definitely starting to feel older. All that aside, the trip was actually a wonderful experience.


I love San Antonio and have been there several times. My brother was stationed there twice while in the Air Force, and my husband and I honeymooned on the Palacio del Rio 28 years ago. Our last visit was two years ago. This visit was with my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, her mother and my son to attend a couples shower in their honor, given by her family. The weekend was jam packed with plans, including my meeting this large extended family.


I had a blast! I have never met a group of people so warm and accepting and with such a sense of fun. They made this gringo feel like one of the family, helping me learn a few new Spanish words via Mexican Bingo and restaurant menus! They reminded me of the family I grew up in. A family that played cards and ate big meals together, where Aunts and Uncles and cousins never worried about the little things, disagreements were quickly forgotten, grudges were never held, and you were accepted and loved no matter what. It was like coming home.


I made sure that my son understood how very blessed he is to be marrying in to such a warm, loving family. They are rare, and he is lucky. He is gaining a wonderful new set of grandparents and aunts, uncles and cousins who will love him like their very own family members. My future grandchildren are very lucky!
It was a reminder of what family should be. Eager to spend time together, not from a sense of duty, but because they truly enjoy each others company. Gracias a mis nuevos amigos. Ustedes son gente maravillosa.Te bendiga!


~Marla

1 comment: