Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shaking off the Dust

I do not like to argue or debate with people. It is frustrating, raises my blood pressure, and it doesn’t change anyone’s mind or position on a subject. That is why on social network sites I am amazed at the people who are goaded into an online debate by others. If I post something and another person just can’t let my opinion stand without putting in their two cents worth, I ignore their post. I don’t feel the need to have the last word. Nor do I have to assert myself by seeking out posts I don’t agree with and posting a rebuttal.

As a Christian I used to struggle with this. Didn’t I have to keep after people who hadn’t accepted God’s plan of salvation? I mean, what about the Great Commission?

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  Matthew 28:19-20 NIV

Over the years and with maturity I have come to the realization that most people are unlikely to be moved to change on any topic until they are ready. Be it religion, politics, or any other subject. Constantly yelling my opinion every time they assert their own only serves to annoy them and make me look argumentative.  Once someone knows where you stand on an issue, little purpose is served by constantly reminding them of the fact. Now if they don’t agree I shake off the dust and move on.

“If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town."  Matthew 10:14

One last thoughtIf you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. ~Abraham Lincoln. In other words, if the person has little respect for you, they will not listen to anything you have to say. Just some food for thought.

~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment