Monday, August 29, 2011

It's Not All About You!

It is all about me! Well, admit it, isn't that how most of us feel? I am certainly guilty of this type of thinking. I tend to see things mainly through how they affect me. I want to do what I want, where I want, and when I want! In this regard I am utterly human.


But I am challenged to be more than this. To think of others before myself. To humble myself and to submit to another's authority. A call to obedience. Obedience,wow...how many people have a problem with that one? I admit, as the parent of a law enforcement officer I get a kick out of people who whine and complain when they get a ticket. I myself have gotten two speeding tickets. I treated the police officer respectfully and accepted my punishment as well deserved. After all, I was breaking the law. But how many times do people think the law does not apply to them? They are after all, special. The rules are for other people, not themselves! If the police officer was a good person he/she would be busy catching murderers, not issuing speeding tickets!


And so I wonder, how many of us have that opinion of God? Philippians 2:5-8 calls us to be like Christ, who humbled himself before God in obedience to Him. Jesus followed the same laws that everyone else did, He did not see these rules as pertaining only to others, that He was special...when in fact He was very special. In addition He did this without complaint. That is my goal, a goal I realize I will be working on for the rest of my life. I so want to live Philippians 2:14-15....


Do all things without complaining and disputing. that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.

I so very much want to be a light.
~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment