Monday, August 8, 2011

Risky Business

 Do you consider yourself a risk-taker? I am not talking about risking life and limb for the adrenaline rush it provides. There is a difference between a thrill-seeker and someone willing to roll the dice and try a different outcome. I like the following definition best:


 Risk-taking means taking actions which might have unpleasant or undesirable results.

I consider myself a moderate risk-taker. I tend toward conservatism where my money is concerned, but in most other areas I like to try things that are new and different. I like uncharted territory, exploration and adventure. My husband does not. I cannot count the number of trips I have dragged him on, kicking and screaming…OK, that is an exaggeration…sullen and resigned may be a better description…forcing him out of the known comfort of his home town.
 See, I married an opposite in this department. He is happy with the status quo, I love change. Together we have probably made a good team…I force him out of his comfort zone occasionally…he reigns me in when my ideas are probably not for the best.

That said, I still think moderate risk-taking brings more interest and joy to your life. I love quotes, and there were a bundle on this subject. My favorites:

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. ~Author Unknown

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves – in finding themselves. ~Andre Gide

The healthy being craves an occasional wildness, a jolt from normality, a sharpening of the edge of appetite, his own little festival of the Saturnalia, a brief excursion from his way of life. ~Robert MacIver

Prudence keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy. ~Samuel Johnson

Why not go out on a limb? Isn’t that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully

A ship in harbor is safe – but that is not what ships are for. ~John A. Shedd

So get out there and try something new; a new restaurant, a new food, a different vacation destination, a new hair color, a new wall color, a new recipe, a new hobby, maybe even a new job. Find something to shake things up a little…the outcome may surprise you!

~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment