Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Great Expectations

I have weddings on the brain right now. With only 24 days until my son is married, it is starting to get a little more busy around here. I have a list of deadlines and to-do items. But it is an exciting time and after a 19 month engagement I am ready to boot the little bird from the nest! Seriously, I am excited to watch him embark on a new chapter of his life. Hopefully, the longest and most fulfilling one as well.


I have been blessed with a strong, stable marriage from the beginning. I have been married for 28 years to my high-school sweetheart. We dated for 6 years before our marriage. My expectations going into this marriage were simple. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my best friend, someone I loved dearly, who was faithful and trustworthy. I had no idea what that journey would entail, but I knew who I wanted by my side.


 Did I want children and a nice home someday? Of course! But I also knew that regardless of those things, I already had the person who would be with me no matter how everything else turned out. To have and to hold.


What makes a marriage successful? Well, there are millions of books out there that attempt to answer that question for you. But I think it boils down to two things: commitment & expectations. The first one is a given, right? Everyone knows a long lasting marriage needs commitment. But I think expectations are just as important, especially to the happiness of that union. So many people enter into marriage with a view of bliss and roses. When in reality it is compromise and dirty dishes! They set their expectations so high that failure is inevitable. They see their future together as a calm, beautiful trip down the river Seine, when more likely it will be like Mad Toads Wild Ride at Disneyland!


My son and his fiancĂ©e are high-school sweethearts. They have been together for 8 years. They are best friends and love each other dearly. My advice to them? Expect to live the rest of your life with your very best friend...and enjoy the ride!


~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment