Monday, October 3, 2011

The Crutch

"I'm glad your faith brings you comfort." Have you ever heard those words before? They always give me pause to think. Maybe I am reading too much into them, but often they have a slightly condescending tone about them. Maybe the inference that because I am weak I need the crutch of my faith to survive the trials of this life?


I looked up the word crutch, and along with the obvious definitions referring to a physical crutch, I found the following:


crutch - something that supports or sustains

Wow. I had never really thought of it in that light. I had always heard the negative connotation that people often use. I never realized that a crutch is exactly what my faith is! A wonderful crutch that supports and sustains me through the trials of this world. A gift of support from God Himself. A blessing.

They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.
~2 Samuel 22:19

Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
 ~Psalm 55:22

So yes! I am proud to say my faith is my crutch, a wonderful support through a difficult and troubling world. A piece of God Himself given to sustain me while I travel through a world that is not my home.

Blessings ~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment