Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Taking a Stand

Today I have watched from afar as my niece has had the pleasure of meeting the people from Westboro Baptist Church. That statement is dripping with sarcasm if you didn't catch that. I know my Kansas readers are well aware of who Fred and Shirley Phelps and their Westboro Church are...but for those who may not be aware...they are the group that travels the USA picketing fallen soldiers funerals and whatever other events they feel will get them significant media coverage. Their message is one of hate disguised as repentance.


As Christians we are called to share God's word and win souls to Christ. This is the "Great Commission" mentioned in Matthew 28:16-20.



Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. 

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

I have to wonder, looking at the Westboro group, how many people their message of hate has brought to Christ? I wager very few. Instead they make a mockery of Christianity and turn people away. Unfortunately, due to the media coverage they crave, and are freely afforded, they may be the only view some people have of Christians. I find that terrifying. We ALL sin, every single one of us. God hates ALL sin. Everytime you lie, cheat, are prideful, treat another person poorly, or gossip, you are sinning. As a Christian these are ALL sins God hates. A lesson the members of Westboro seem to forget.

I actually visited the Westboro site online before writing this...I was appalled. Not one word of encouragement, grace or mercy. The entire site is steeped in hatefulness. I am not sharing the link for two reasons. One, the site name is repellent and I don't want it on my blog, and two, they don't need additional hits on their site, as this only feeds their pride. Suffice to say it twisted my stomach just seeing their site.

So today I find myself needing to stand up...just as our Kansas Patriot Guard does...standing between the Westboro group and the rest of the world...a world who may look at this group and think that this is what Christianity is all about.









1 Corinthians 16:14

Let all that you do be done with love.

~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment