Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Refreshed!

After two weeks of exhaustion, depression, and loss of focus, I feel refreshed. Amazing what one little pill at night can do! As I have mentioned before, I am not a fan of too much medication. One of the things I tried to do without was the muscle relaxant that I take at night. After a few weeks of sleeping in two hour increments I threw in the towel and refilled my prescription. Last night I slept for nine hours straight! Wow! What a difference! I feel ready to face the day and get things done. Not to mention my pain tolerance is increased also. Refilled, recharged, renewed, rested, and refreshed! Vitamin R!


I once read something about Martha Stewart that said she only slept four hours a day. Her reason was that there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done otherwise. Kudos to her, but as I discovered, I get far less accomplished in the remaining hours if I don't get a good night's sleep. Hmm, do I see an analogy in this?


How many times have I put my daily devotion aside because I just didn't have enough hours in the day to dedicate one to God? After all, I have a lot of other things I need to accomplish. Oddly enough, when I take the time out of my busyness to focus on Him, I find myself feeling just like I do after a good night's sleep. Kind of like a big dose of Vitamin R. And guess what? Everything else still gets accomplished...and with a better attitude.


I once saw a great visual demonstration of this concept...maybe you have too. Using a large clear vase the person states that the room in the vase represents the space we have in our day. Large rocks represent the most important things, God and family, while smaller rocks the less important, work and hobbies. Sand represents the incidental, such as TV watching. 


If we start with the incidental and make it our priority, it fills the bottom of the vase. Then if we move to the less important, it fills the vase to the top, leaving no room at all for the important things, the things that really matter.


But, if we start with the important things, the big rocks, then fill in the pebbles and finally the sand...it all fits in the vase. The space taken up by the objects didn't change, only the priority in which we filled the vase.


So before you decide you don't have time for the important things...God, family, maybe even a good nights sleep...try putting those things first. You'll be amazed how the rest just falls into place.









Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
~Matthew 11:28


Blessings ~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment