Monday, May 9, 2011

Finding Serenity


Serenity. In our family Serenity is a place. My brother and sister-in-law bought a retirement home a year and a half ago. A home that feels as if it is miles away from any other people, though in reality it sits on the edge of a small Kansas town. They named their new home Serenity, a name that suits it perfectly. Every time I visit, serenity does indeed envelope me. I can be stressed when I arrive, but after a few minutes of quietly sitting and looking out over the property, my tensions ease and disappear. It truly seems almost a magical place. 




But according to the definition of serenity, it is not a place at all, but a state of mind.


serenity: The state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled: "an oasis of serenity".


So as much as I enjoy visiting Serenity, it is not a necessity in the quest for serenity itself. I can find that anywhere, if I allow myself to.
These are places I find serenity.


In the joy of the children in our family.


In gathering with family and friends.
In watching the birds feed at my feeders.
In simply relaxing with a good cup of coffee.
In taking time to garden and enjoy the flowers.
In the stillness and beauty of God's word.


Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I carry is light” Matthew 11:29-30


Here is wishing the blessing of serenity for each and every one of you.
God Bless ~Marla

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the places where serenity can be found... to truly is a blessing to have serenity in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is an absolutely beautiful haven! The lake and the trees that surround the area make for a very refreshing and calming atmosphere. It’s a very serene place to live. I would love to spend the rest of my life here, if given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s the greatest thing about retirement homes: SERENITY. I think the reason why it’s called a retirement home is because it’s the perfect place to just slow down, and finally relax, after all these years. Your place is surely a winner! Best regards, Marla! =)

    ReplyDelete