Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

Today I am stealing an idea I have seen on several other blogs. Tasty Tuesday! A day dedicated to sharing a recipe or dining experience with others. Now, I consider myself a fairly good cook. After all, I have been doing it long enough. I should have gained some expertise, right? Well here is the thing.....When you have been cooking for that many years, recipes tend to be more for inspiration than for actual direction. I mean really, who has the time to measure all that stuff? I am usually in a bit of a hurry. I really don't have time to pull out various measuring tools, and then have to clean them & put them away! A cup of cheese? One handful. A teaspoon of salt? I use the palm of my hand. An eighth of a teaspoon? Are you serious? I either don't care if it is included, or I like it, so let's put in more! 
This morning I decided to pull out the crock pot. I had some boneless, skinless chicken thighs I wanted to use. Hmm, what to do? Let's see, I have some papaya pineapple preserves that need used. Add some soy sauce and ginger. Maybe not enough. Hey! Here are some apricot preserves! Add half a jar of that, mix it all up, dip the chicken in it, throw it in the crock pot and voila! Hopefully an edible meal by 5:30 tonight. So in honor of Tasty Tuesday I am sharing the following recipe with you. Enjoy!


Marla's Salmon Patties
2 cans pink salmon
2 eggs
Miracle Whip salad dressing
Chili Sauce
Nature's Seasons seasoning blend
Italian Style Bread Crumbs
Canola Oil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open cans of salmon. Drain salmon directly over the dogs dry food. Empty cans into large mixing bowl. Do NOT remove skin or bones. It will all be mushed together anyway. Plus the bones contain calcium. It is good for you! Crack 2 eggs over salmon and mix it all together. Using a soup spoon, add 2 or 3 big globs of Miracle Whip. It must be Miracle Whip. Mayo is for wimps! Mix this mess together. Add about 2 regular size spoons worth of chili sauce. Mix. Season with Nature's Season.....I have no clue how much...until it feels right, OK? Now start adding bread crumbs. Add these until the consistency looks like you could make it into patties. Heat canola oil in electric skillet on high heat. Just enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet by 1/4 inch. Now for the fun part! Make sure you wash your hands first and have some paper towels at the ready. Using you hands scoop out the salmon mixture and form into patties. The size is up to you. Place patties in skillet and pan fry until bottom side is well browned and set. Turn with spatula and repeat. As patties are done, place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess oil. 
Serve with ketchup and chili sauce. 
Serves: 3 to 8, depending on whether or not my son is eating with you.

So, there you are! My first Tasty Tuesday!
Bon Appetit! ~Marla

1 comment: