Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Now, Give it All Away

Photo by Mike Gullett – AP

I have spent the past two months trying to save money. I have bought toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo and deodorant. I have gotten free samples of anything I can get my hands on. Even samples I can’t use, but family or friends can. I have enough of some items that I will not have to buy them again for a year. Or so I thought. Within the next week I will be giving it all away. When I look at the pictures of Joplin my budget worries seem pretty insignificant. Of course I can afford to help. God commands it.

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35 (ESV)

I give not only because God desires this from me, but also because it feeds my soul. I give not because I expect anything in return, but I rest easy in the knowledge that God will provide for me.

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38 (ESV)


Have you been looking for an opportunity to give? A chance to teach your children the importance of sacrifice? I promise you will be less anxious when you are giving than when you are holding on tightly to your possessions. Give it a try.


~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment