Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Do Something Remarkable


I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.  ~Edward Everett Hale

What a great quote! Today I made a call. I was waiting to make it. Waiting to see what my future might hold. What my new "normal" was going to look like. I think I am there. I have good days, days that I can walk more easily, do a little housework between resting my back, days I can sit in a chair like a normal person. I have bad days, days where only the bed brings relief, days the walk from my bedroom to the kitchen is excruciating. What employer is going to deal with that. "Well, I can maybe work a total of 15 hours a week, in a good week, but I don't know when those hours will be." Yeah, not going to happen. But I make the same comment offering to volunteer someplace? Welcomed with open arms. So, that was my call today, to a place I had imagined volunteering at when I retired from nursing. That retirement just came a little early ;) If you have spare time, please consider volunteering. My nieces and nephew are an inspiration to me. I have a niece who has done volunteer projects with her children since they were in preschool. Another niece volunteers constantly at her children's school. I have a niece and nephew that are college age that have participated in several mission trips. Find a way to give back with your time. Love animals? Most animal shelters can use volunteers. Love the elderly? Nursing homes will welcome you, even if it is just reading to a resident. Love babies? Many hospitals use volunteers to rock babies. Like to organize? Check out a food pantry. You get the picture.....so get out there, and do something remarkable!
~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment