Saturday, April 30, 2011

Life Is What Happens

Isla Roatan, Honduras
The best thing about writing every day is the introspection. It gives me a moment to slow down and contemplate. Where is my life headed? What are my priorities? How am I spending my time? How is my relationship with God? Am I finding contentment? 
Those of you who know me well, know I love to travel. I love experiencing new places, new activities, new foods. The past few years, cruising has been my favorite vacation destination. I have loved visiting different countries and islands, snorkeling, climbing waterfalls, swimming with a dolphin, eating in a Mayan village. These have been wonderful experiences! In retrospect however, I realize my vacations were often the focus of my thoughts practically year round. They helped get me through the monotony of my every day life. Kept me working at a job that gave me no sense of satisfaction or fulfillment. I couldn't quit work.....how could I afford all the little extras I had become accustomed to? So to keep walking, one foot in front of the other, I planned. Big vacations, like cruises and a week in Colorado. Little weekend getaways, like Branson and Eureka Springs. They were wonderful! But they only represented a couple of weeks out of the year. The rest of the time I was busy making plans.
 I can't say I am huge John Lennon fan, post Beatles, but there is a song he wrote that speaks eloquently of this very subject. The quote below is from the song "Beautiful Boy." 
Life is what happens to you
When you're busy making other plans

Well, I haven't made plans for two months now. And amazingly, my life seems to have slowed down, become richer somehow. I am sure I will still get away for an occasional weekend......but I don't feel the urge to plan to fill that void anymore. Life is what is happening to me right now.
Have a great one! ~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment