Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sew Much Fun!

I used to sew. A lot. When my kids were small and we were financially strapped, I spent a great deal of time with my sewing machine. I babysat to supplement our income, and 25 years ago a babysitter went about their every day life while they watched after the children in their care. So I had plenty of time to sew clothing and small craft projects. When I graduated from college money became more plentiful and time less so. Over the years the sewing machine became a forgotten relic, stuffed away in a corner of my basement storage room. Last night I dug it out. Amazingly it still runs, quite well actually. It needs a little oil and some other minor maintenance, but otherwise it works pretty well. Once again it is being called back into service. Once again time is plentiful and money is not. Oddly enough, I am okay with that. Those years that were lean really weren't such bad years. I liked being homemaker. I don't regret the years I spent working. It paid for wonderful vacations, college for my children, and a wedding. But I am realizing that I am enjoying picking up old hobbies and developing new ones. Choosing to spend my time on things that are important to me, that have meaning for me, is a true blessing. So, if you are reading this and you are normally on my Christmas list.........what you receive this year will probably be from my hands as well as my heart ;)
Blessings ~Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment